Wednesday, November 9, 2011

On Launching Ships and Sons... (yup, we sent our "baby" to college)


I'm over at CatholicMom.com today, waxing nostalgic. Well, actually the column is more about my hopes for my youngest son being on his own in college than my transition to the part-time semesters-only "empty nest."

Here's a taste of it:
Look at the ships also; though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs (James 3:4 RSV-CE).” 
I have kissed my son and waved goodbye. The day finally came for him, the youngest of the brood, to pull up anchor and sail off for college. As I’ve come to assess the condition of my mother’s heart, I find a contented peace, like a sunset after a long working day. My years of sailing a thousand smaller voyages with this young man now bring me here, standing on the shore of blessing. 
The giant ship -- that is, an adult child’s college career or work life -- and the sails that are made to harness the winds of successful living, are, in the end, steered by the smallest rudder… for the conscience is hidden deep. It invisibly navigates every journey, guiding the course. 
Such are the paradoxes of the Catholic faith. We can easily recall how the smallest Host of bread contains the greatest mystery and the holiest power. To consume it – to let it transform us – is to yield the tiller to Another’s gentle hand and influence. It never fails to reveal True North to the sailor.  
Read the whole thing. And check out the great line up over at CatholicMom! There's always something good cookin' over there!

Image credit 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing