Thursday, August 11, 2011

Remembering a friend's holy influence

Today in the feast of St. Clare of Assisi. I had the great blessing of praying before St. Clare's remains in Assisi alongside my husband and daughter, back in 2004. Clare remains a good spiritual friend in heaven. But my thoughts today turn also to another spiritual friend. Today is also the 5th anniversary of her death. May she rest in peace, and may I ask you to lift a prayer on her behalf?

Judi was a wife, mother, grandmother, and a writer. She was also a lover of Jesus. She stepped boldly into my life when she heard I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996. And when the crisis was over, she hung around. Our lives were in different orbits most often, and our get togethers rare treats. But when we did get together, she and I talked and prayed and laughed and lunched and read each other's works-in-progress.

If I have written anything worth reading in the last 15 years or so, it is because Judi's words and example coaxed me out of the cocoon where the writing had retreated when I gave up my career in radio to be at home with my children. I was always a writer, but for many years I simply diverted that creativity into other things. Judi reminded me of that love and nudged me to produce something more than journal entries. I will always be grateful.

The end was hard, and every August as I have celebrated another year cancer-free, I remember her too.

My former pastor would always talk about God's little saints... the people whose names may never make it onto the canonization roles in heaven... but who have done our souls great good by their prayers and loving service. I'm sure you can name a few in your own life. Judi was one in mine.

May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace, Amen.


St. Clare, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing