Monday, May 28, 2012

This makes me think.... a profound prayer for a contrite heart

With a Contrite Heart


Prevent me, Lord, from confounding
The mystery of you life in me
With willful self-mastery.
May my gentleness not be a facade;
May it flow froth from my inmost center
Where you reign supreme.
Save me from becoming
A proud paradigm
Of perfect self-control,
A worshiper
Of poise and self-possession.
Save me from pressure 
Of exalted ideals
That deny my humanness
Let my soul not be maimed
By perverted gentility
Grant me the gift to pray
With a contrite heart
And be saved daily 
From the deception
Of pious fantasies.


-- Adrian van Kaam, from Practicing the Prayer of Presence, with Susan Muto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing