Monday, February 28, 2011

This makes me think... RIP Dr Bernard Nathanson

I know every facet of abortion. I was one of its accoucheurs: I helped nurture the creature in its infancy by feeding it great draughts of blood and money; I guided it through its adolescence as it grew fecklessly out of control….

I am one of those who helped usher in this barbaric age. I worked hard to make abortion legal, affordable, and available on demand.  In 1968, I was one of the three founders of the National Abortion Rights Action League. I ran the largest abortion clinic in the United States, and as its director I oversaw tens of thousands of abortions. I have performed thousands myself….

Abortion is now a monster so unimaginably gargantuan that even to think of stuffing it back into its cage is ludicrous beyond words. Yet that is our charge - a herculean endeavor.



Dr. Nathanson would later undergo an enormous change of heart and change of direction in his life, and become one of the foremost American pro-life spokeperson. A synopsis of his pro-life advocacy is here.

Dr. Nathanson also became a Catholic in 1996. He is being laid to rest today at a funeral Mass at St Patrick’s Cathedral in New York. Archbishop Timothy Dolan will preside, and he posts his thoughts about it here.

UPDATE: The Archdiocese of New York has posted a pdf file of the homily for Dr. Nathanson, given by Fr Gerald Murray, here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing