Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Princess Gives It All Away -- Inspiration for real life from St. Elizabeth of Hungary

I first encountered the story of St. Elizabeth of Hungary when my husband and I were first married. We belonged to St. Elizabeth of Hungary Parish. She was always depicted with a basket of bread in her hands and she wore a crown. In real life, I think she might have hesitated wearing the crown-like adornments, but I can't say for sure. But her lifestyle was one lived in the spirit of St. Francis of Assisi, and her day-to-day activities were filled with loving service to her neighbors, despite having the privileged life as a daughter of King Andrew of Hungary, and being wed a prominent German Duke. The woman had it all -- a devoted, wealthy husband, three children, a castle life...and she simply gave it all away...

Read the story of St Elizabeth of Hungary at A Word in Season. 



1 comment:

  1. St. Elizabeth of Hungary is a favorite of mine - her story never fails to move me. What a reminder of the true heart of charity! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing