Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sentimental about Sacramentals

Maybe you have some favorite sacred blessings, objects, or practices that enrich your daily faith walk. That's what my column over at Patheos is all about...

Now and again as I work and perform my chores I hear a faint jingle from the small cross and miraculous medal I wear around my neck. Some people see them as nothing more than jewelry, nice charms on a gold chain. To me, they are cues to my identity as a Christian, one with a particular devotion to the Blessed Mother...
All these tangible, wearable sacramentals are outward signs that remind me who I am and whose I am. They bring my faith, hope, and love alive.
Despite their name sacramentals are not sacraments. Nor are they lucky charms or magical talismans. I harbor no superstitions about them as no powers accompany them. Yet they do reflect all the special graces I have already received, pointing to the gift of God’s on-going presence in my life...
Sacramentals illuminate the sacred in every day. Given to us by the Church in the service of the sacraments, they remind us of the graces we hold dear, and the God who holds us near. They dispose us to divine life found in daily life, like loving tokens of friendship between God, the communion of saints, and us.
Popular piety surrounding sacramentals, when properly aligned with the faith of the Church, help us grow in our devotion to God.
 Rest the rest here.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you have worded the purpose of sacramentals ... They dispose us to divine life found in daily life, like loving tokens of friendship between God, the communion of saints, and us.

    Thank you for sharing that thought.

    ReplyDelete

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing