Monday, March 14, 2011

This makes me think...

Jesus... set before me the book of nature; I understood how all the flowers He created are beautiful, how the splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the Lily do not take away the perfume of the little violet or the delightful simplicity of the daisy.  I understood that is all flowers wanted to be roses, nature would lose her springtime beauty, and the fields would no longer be decked out with the little wild flowers.


And so it is in the world of souls, Jesus' garden. He willed to create great souls comparable to Lilies and roses but He created smaller ones and these must be content to be daisies or violets destined to give joy to God's glances when He looks down at his feet. Perfection consists in doing His will, in being what He wills us to be.


----St Therese of Lisieux, The Story of a Soul, chapter 1.



I don't think I've shared here on the blog that I am rereading The Story of a Soul, the autobiography of St Therese of Lisieux. But this time, I am reading this study guide to assist me. It's a spiritual classic that I've read before -- most recently in grad school -- when you are always assessing and analyzing everything, because usually there is a grade involved. Well, this time, I'm just reading it for me. It seems St Therese kept showing up in my life in the people.blogs, and places I visited since the beginning of the year.  It's funny how long it sometimes takes me to catch on to what the Lord is doing.  So I just finally yielded and got myself a new copy and some supplemental reading on the text that I'm finding very helpful. 

Happy Lenting!

1 comment:

  1. this made me laugh out loud --

    "A month or two before St.Therese died, one of the nuns said: 'I really wonder sometimes what Mother Prioress will be able to say about Sister Therese. It won’t be easy, for though the little sister is very good she has certainly never done anything worth speaking about.' "

    http://lynnwehner.tumblr.com/post/3855161693/beautifully-broken-little-did-she-know

    ReplyDelete

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing