Monday, November 29, 2010

This makes me think.... about adventing

Now be patient.. until the Lord's coming.. do not lose heart, because the Lord's coming will be soon. (James 5:7-8.)

In our search for the holy, there are times when our restless preparations smother the very truth for which we are searching.  We decorate our rooms and make elaborate preparations for our prayer, when a single flower and a moment of waiting are all we need to meet the One Who Comes. In our restlessness, our search sometimes becomes the only god we ever meet.


My days are all spent
in decorating my house.
I am forever preparing 
for you arrival.
I hunger for you presence
yet I take not the time
to wait for your coming
and to my great sorrow
you never arrive.


It is because I refuse
to be silent
that I cannot hear you.


It is because I refuse
to await you
that you cannot come.


It is because I refuse
to be idle
that I cannot enjoy you.


It is because I am too busy
hanging decorations
that I cannot welcome you home.


Yet in your deep wisdom
your presence leans toward mine. 
You understand my decorations
to be symbols of my hunger
and you know of the day 
when my heart swept clean
will be the only decoration needed
and I will listen for your coming
like night awaiting day.


--- Macrina Wiederkehr, OSB,  Seasons of Your Heart


image credit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing