Friday, June 25, 2010

Marriage, An Intimate Partnership

I'm talking living and loving the sacrament of Matrimony over at Today's Catholic Woman on Catholic Exchange.  Here's a snippet:

Young (and old) lovers would do well to carefully examine the wise and ancient counsel from a great saint and Doctor of the Church, St. John Chrysostom (4th century) regarding such a holy union.
CCC 2365:
St. John Chrysostom suggests that young husbands should say to their wives: I have taken you in my arms, and I love you, and I prefer you to my life itself. For the present life is nothing, and my most ardent dream is to spend it with you in such a way that we may be assured of not being separated in the life reserved for us. . . . I place your love above all things, and nothing would be more bitter or painful to me than to be of a different mind than you.
What a sublime example of the heroic love to which Christians are to aspire. This is way beyond Hallmark sentimentality, and all the externals that go into wedding planning. This is about planning a life. This little quote reflects some of the inner essence of what a sacramental marriage is at its core.
Read the whole piece here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too shy to leave a comment here? Email me at amongwomenpodcast@me.com.

The new Roman Missal (click & learn about the coming changes):

Watch Catholic TV here! Find Women's programs: "WINGs" and "Woman at the Heart of the Church"

A Lovely Reminder for Every Day

Coffee drinkers! Support AW by drinking Mystic Monk Coffee!

Ship a Cake, and Share a Blessing